It's almost finals guys so please bare with me. I'm hoping I can get all of my projects done this week and then: SUMMER BREAK! Which will hopefully include:
- A pilgrimage to Ace Deuce to visit some lovely vegans and vegetarians
- A birthday evening spent on the beach!
- Lots of hugs and kisses!
- Aerial Classes at the Actor's Gym!!
- A successful craft experience at the Gold Coast Art Fair (see bottom)
Aside from that, here are some things that have been going on:
- After nearly losing my mind at Artropolis (I don't care to talk about it) I attended a monthly Peace Concert at the Chicago Culture Center for Soka Gakkai International. The performance was put on by the Buddhist youth of the organization and was centered around gun violence in Chicago neighborhoods. It primarily consisted of short dance- related vignettes that told various gun violence narratives, which was bookended by a surprisingly good spoken word/ slam poetry piece performed by a teenage boy.
Afterwards, me and my newly made Buddhist friend (the one who brought me to the event) attended an informational meeting/ chanting session. I left feeling a little overwhelmed what with the youth performance (that reminded me so much of highschool, it was unnerving) and with the steady stream of people who shook my hand and informed me on the benefits of Buddhism. However, everyone was very welcoming and pleasant and it was a wonderful way to end a pretty humdrum week. I like making new friends.
- My school recently hosted a lecture/ round table discussion with Allyson Mitchell. Allyson is a Canadian fiber artist who uses crafty materials (faux fur, rugs, crotchet, and knitwear) to create sculptural pieces relating to female sexuality, the female body, and queerness.
She spoke a lot about using these universal materials as a way to communicate to a broader audience (those outside of the academic institution). It also seemed to be a way to tackle complex and loaded topics while not making people feel stupid or defensive. I really enjoy her Lady Sasquatches.
Hungry Purse 2006 A scented, fibrous, secluded room that's an obvious reference to the female anatomy. Looks like it would be a nice place to take a nap.
Look at more of her stuff and let me know what you think!
- Lastly, just found out that I got into the Gold Coast Art Fair which will take place August 20- 22 in Grant Park!!! I'm a little overwhelmed with the thought of how much inventory this will require but I am blindly excited none the less. If you'll be in the area, swing by my table and say hello. I'll be the girl with the bow in her hair and a table full of lovely adornments!
Happy Spring everyone!
p.s - Did you know that Tina Turner is Buddhist??