Friday, November 28, 2008

Giving thanks, Channel surfing, Salad, and Mark

Thanksgiving was good. I spent it at my Aunt's house with my Mother, Brother, and Step Father. Most of my Mom's siblings were there. I pretty much spent the entire time in my Aunt's master bedroom channel surfing... which was fine with me because I've been looking forward to doing nothing for a while...plus she has cable television which is a luxury we cannot afford at my house.

It was good to be around family but it was also very sad. Most of them looked so much older and smaller and it made me very aware of how temporary family gatherings can be. I have my Aunt's laughter stuck in my head.

What I Ate:
large amounts of wonderful salad
3 catfish fillets
Sushi
2 slices of chocolate cake
A slice of carrot cake
A slice of red velvet cake
tortilla chips

What I Watched:
3 part documentary on Warhol's Silver Factory
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Biography: Alan Alda
Biography: Melissa Gilbert
The Notebook (YES!!!)
Robot Chicken

I'm really losing my mind over this performance final. I had this set idea but after doing some research I feel my mind is changing. I'm still trying to figure out how to fight a stereotype while performing it...and if removing the "fourth wall" helps. Right now I'm just concerned about protecting myself, how I'll honestly feel when it's all said and done, and if I'll do a good job at conveying a message without being didactic or preachy.

I researched Mark Ryden the other day. I like his paintings because I feel like there is a very interesting narrative behind each one. I also like that he continues to use a set amount of symbols in his work like raw meat, Jesus, children, alchemy, Abe Lincoln, Satan, and rabbits. I tried to find an interview in which he explained some of his symbolism but all the interviews I found where silly and they asked arbitrary questions like, "What do you do for fun?"












No comments: