Sunday, February 14, 2010

News and Reviews

I finally got around to watching Boys Don't Cry (about 10 years late) and I had a bitch of a time sleeping afterwards. Boys Don't Cry tells the story of the short life and brutal death of Brandon Teena, a female-trans-male living in Humboldt, Nebraska. The movie was phenomenal (minus Chloe Sevigny's wooden acting) and I couldn't take my eyes off Hilary Swank. It was almost alarming how in love with her I was during the whole movie but I often find myself incredibly attracted to people with affluent genders or who at least look like they can easily pass for both. (JD Samson, anyone?) Also, seeing Hilary dressed like a scrawny, awkward boy reminded me of a few people I used to date.

Hilary Swank as Brandon Teena. Yowza!!


Brandon and Lana (Swank and Sevigny) in a passionate embrace.


The actual Brandon Teena. You have to admit, the resemblance was uncanny.

I guess I was a little bitter once I found out the movie won so many Oscars. It seems like Hollywood takes horrifying stories like these and just milks them for all they've got. I suppose it's worth it though if it makes people more aware of these kinds of issues. It also makes me think that maybe having a school specifically geared toward LGBTQ youth isn't such a bad thing if it keeps a good amount of Brandon Teena and Matthew Shepard situations from happening.

You can read more about Brandon Teena Here.

My second Review is on Handmade Nation, a documentary about people who live crafty lives, based off the book with the same name. It was refreshing to see how some folks are able to sustain themselves by making and selling their work. The range of people interviewed in both the book and documentary was pretty diverse. Some were ex-writers who now owned zine shops, some were self proclaimed "craft-wannabes" who owned handmade boutiques, and others were painting majors who now embroider.


It's nice to be reminded that there are many ways to be successful and that success is a rather relative term. I have a bad habit of getting caught up in what I call 'Art School Tunnel Vision'. Handmade Nation was also a nice pallet cleanser after watching Boys Don't Cry...grrr...I can't stop thinking about Brandon Teena!!

On a related note (to Handmade Nation, not Brandon Teena) I will be teaching a short seminar at the Solarium, February 16 on D.I.Y Bookbinding. Come by if you're interested in making books from recycled materials!

I found this image at My Handbound Books.

No comments: