Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Books, Books, Books

I taught my Bookbinding Class a day ago and now I'm filled with the sleepy sense of relief one gets after successfully completing a final project. All I really want to do right now is laugh and sleep and lie down and it's moments like this that remind me of how much of a freak-out I'm capable of being. I triumphantly deleted all my class research files. Now on to the next thing!!

Since I was recently blessed with a large tax return, I got into an old habit of cruising Amazon for juicy reads and I came across a couple neat things.

The first thing I found (and am reading now) is Hello Cruel World by Kate Bornstein. Kate Bornstein is an activist, writer and performance artist who normally makes work relating to sexuality and gender identity.



The full title of the book (Hello Cruel world, 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws) is pretty self explanatory. Ze (Kate's preferred gender pronoun) actually goes down a list of things to do instead of killing yourself. What I'm interested in most are the topics around sexuality and desire that keeping popping up throughout the chapters... even though those two subjects vaguely remind me of this horrible philosophy class I took last semester...but I won't talk about that. I do wonder though, how different I would be had this book been around when I was in high school. I think the 15 year old me would have flipped over this! Not that I'm not enjoying it now but as the title states, it is geared toward a slightly younger crowd.

Kate Bornstein

Check out Kate's Blog!!

The second book I ordered (at the risk of soiling my good girl image) is an erotica book! It's called Enchanted: Erotic Bedtime Stories for Women.

I'm super excited about it because as the title suggests, it's a collection of rewritten fairy tales and I've always been interested in the subtly erotic things hidden in those stories. I bet you all think I'm just this pervert who thinks about love-making all day. I'm not, honest. Really.

Any suggestions for good books? I'd love to hear it.

No comments: