Sunday, May 12, 2013

It's been a while

I've decided that I need to commit myself to posting on a regular basis. I'm currently in a dry spell in which I've been working a really difficult, frustrating job, and not making things and I feel as though if I don't commit myself to producing more work, including updating my blog and website, then I might implode or drown. I've always been the type of person who's really hard on themselves and can't deal with difficult situations just by simply 'talking' through them...though that sometimes does help. I've usually had to write about it, mull it over, make something, and then do some crazy ritual dance around a fire to get all the negativity feelings out. 

For the longest time, I felt that life after college would be easy as pie. I absolutely HATE doing homework so I figured that would definitely  be the bright side to post -graduate life...and it is...coupled with the fact that I don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn and trek down to school every single goddamn day. The down side is, however, that I'm less emerged in art and academia all time and I  don't have access to all the sweet art-making facilities located at my school anymore. I also find myself less in the mood to make things after working at my exhausting and frustrating job. But, it just means that I have to try harder, right? Inspiration isn't easy to acquire all the time and art isn't 'easy' to make. With the everyday frustrations of being an adult and not having a release for that, I find myself becoming really bitter, having a really negative internal monologue and getting really jealous of my other artist friend's successes. In an attempt to alleviate this, I'm going to commit myself to at the very least ONE post a week. Happy reading!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh man, so glad for this post! I'm not alone! I've been feeling similar feelings about post grad life and battling similar negativities (christ, my inner monologues...like whose side are you really on?!).

I don't have a blog yet (hope to by the end of the summer) but now feel inspired to hold myself to a weekly creating goal as well! :)

Poly Glamourous said...

Good to hear that I'm not alone in navigating the difficult terrain of post-grad life. When you get a blog, please send me the address! Thanks for reading!