Thursday, April 2, 2009

Roger Brown home and studio

I went to the Roger Brown home and studio for the second time and enjoyed it just as much as the first. I also brought a camera the second time (which they surprisingly allow) and I managed to take A LOT of photos.

A little bit about Roger Brown: He studied at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago briefly as an undergrad and then as a grad student. He was one of the core members of the Chicago Imagists artists and a collector. After he succumbed to aids in 1997 his home/studio was donated to the Art Institute where it remains, under their care. His home is pretty much untouched so a lot of his personal items are still lying around along with various handmade functional objects, toys, folk art, and decorative pieces. Really he considered anything art as long as it was interesting looking and well made.





Sculptures by William Dawson, a folk/outsider artist who influenced the Chicago Imagists especially Roger Brown.



Me in the bathroom of the Roger Brown studio. His toothbrush was still hanging on the wall!


An exploded pot still hanging out in his stove. It's probably been sitting there since before '97.


Please go to the Roger Brown studio. They have an original page from Henry Darger's book! Which reminds me, Intuit is also worth checking out since they have recreated Henry Darger's living quarters. I am incredibly attracted to outsider art. I think there's something to be said for artists that are able to operate outside of the institution. I wish I could be one of those people, but I can't really complain because the institution I'm currently in has provided me this culture that I am thriving off of.



Anyway, Other artists to check out:

Lee Godie




Ray Yoshida




Jesse Howard

No comments: